Stuart Public Library
Carnegie Grant Information
Town & County
Twelfth Census of the United States â€” 1900. p. 451.
Stuart is a town in Guthrie County, which was established on January 15, 1851. The county was named for Captain Edwin B. Guthrie, who died from injuries in the Mexican War. In 1851, the first county seat was established at Panora. In 1860, the county seat was moved to Guthrie Center. In 1862, the county seat was moved back to Panora. In 1873, Guthrie Center again won the vote for the county seat. Guthrie County received two Carnegie grants for the towns of Stuart and Guthrie Center, although Guthrie Center choose not to accept their grant.
(Source: Pratt, LeRoy G. “The Counties and Courthouses of Iowa.” Mason City, Ia; Klipto Printing & Office Supply Company, 1977, p. 136-137.)