Rockwell City Public Library
Current street address: 424 Main St. Rockwell City, IA 50579
Carnegie address: 426 Fifth St. Rockwell City, IA 50579
Original building still standing: Yes
Still in use as a library: No
Carnegie Grant Information
Date of Grant: February 10, 19081
Amount of Grant: $7,500.00 (initial) + $500.001
Cornerstone Date: 0000-00-00 00:00:00
Opening Date: Thursday, June 3, 1909, M.E. church, evening2
Carnegie Correspondent: E. C. Stevenson, Lawyer
Librarian, at Dedication: Mrs. W.H. Allen2
1CCNYR, reel 26. 2ILQ, Apr. 1909, 6(2), p. 27.
Town & County
City: Rockwell City
County: Calhoun County
Population in 1900: 1,364
Population in 2010: 2,264
Twelfth Census of the United States â€” 1900. p. 450.
Rockwell City is the second city to serve as the county seat of Calhoun County, which was established on January 15, 1851. The county was originally named Fox County, but then was changed to Calhoun to honor John Caldwell Calhoun (1782-1850) who had served as a Vice President of the United States. In 1856, Lake City was chosen as the county seat. In 1876, a county election changed the county seat to the more centrally located Rockwell City. Calhoun County received two Carnegie grants for Rockwell City and Lake City.
(Source: Pratt, LeRoy G. “The Counties and Courthouses of Iowa.” Mason City, Ia; Klipto Printing & Office Supply Company, 1977, p. 53.)
Library History Documents (Reports, Newspapers, etc.)
Library Board Materials (Meetings, Forms, etc.)
Facilities (Building Maintenance)
Operations (Library Service Expenses)
Librarian & Accession Books
Help us write this history!