Red Oak Public Library
Carnegie Grant Information
Town & County
Twelfth Census of the United States â€” 1900. p. 450.
Red Oak is the county seat of Montgomery County, which was established on January 15, 1851. The county was named in honor of General Richard Montgomery (1738-1775) who was killed during the Revolutionary War. In 1854, the first county seat was located in Frankfort, but in 1863, a vote relocated the seat to Red Oak Junction. In 1901, the name was changed to Red Oak. Montgomery County received two Carnegie grants for the towns of Red Oak and Villisca.
(Source: Pratt, LeRoy G. “The Counties and Courthouses of Iowa.” Mason City, Ia; Klipto Printing & Office Supply Company, 1977, p. 236.)