New Hampton Public Library
Carnegie Grant Information
Town & County
Twelfth Census of the United States â€” 1900. p. 450.
New Hampton is the county seat of Chickasaw County, which was established on January 15, 1851. Chickasaw was named for the Native American Nation. In 1854, the county seat was first located at Bradford, which was named for the Chief of the Chickasaw. In 1857, the seat was moved to Chickasaw Center, which was then renamed New Hampton. Chickasaw County received two Carnegie grants for the towns of New Hampton and Nashua.
(Source: Pratt, LeRoy G. “The Counties and Courthouses of Iowa.” Mason City, Ia; Klipto Printing & Office Supply Company, 1977, p. 69.)