Marshalltown Public Library
Carnegie Grant Information
Town & County
Twelfth Census of the United States â€” 1900. p. 450.
Marshalltown is the county seat of Marshall County, which was established on January 13, 1846. The county was named in honor of John Marshall (1755-1835), the fourth Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. The first county seat was situated at Marietta, but in 1859, the Iowa Supreme Court decided on the relocation to the town of Marshall. In 1863, the name of the town was changed to Marshalltown.
(Source: Pratt, LeRoy G. “The Counties and Courthouses of Iowa.” Mason City, Ia; Klipto Printing & Office Supply Company, 1977, p. 223-224.)