Glenwood Public Library
Carnegie Grant Information
Town & County
Twelfth Census of the United States â€” 1900. p. 449.
Glenwood is the county seat for Mills County, which was established on January 15, 1851. The county was named to honor Major Frederick Mills of Burlington, Iowa, who had been killed in 1847 in the Mexican War. In 1846, the county seat was first named Rushville, which then was changed to Coonsville in 1847. In 1853, the name was changed to Glenwood. Mills County received two Carnegie grants for Glenwood and Malvern.
(Source: Pratt, LeRoy G. “The Counties and Courthouses of Iowa.” Mason City, Ia; Klipto Printing & Office Supply Company, 1977, p. 228.)